Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Youtube as Education

So, last night I was up until about 1:30am.  Insomnia?  No.  I found a series of videos on how to cable knit on a round loom on YouTube and just had to watch all of them. And then the videos on how to cable knit on straight needles without a cabling needle.  And then how to do a diamond stitch; a garter stitch; a purl stitch.  Then, of course, I had to practice. And fail.  And watch the video again.  And practice again, and so on.

Good Knit Kisses (http://www.youtube.com/user/GoodKnitKisses)  is one YouTube channel for learning how to knit specific stitches that I am particularly fond of.


This is her video on how to do the basic purl stitch.  She goes slow, shows very obvious stitches and loops, and answers questions promptly in her comment section.


This one is another favorite of mine: The Diamond Stitch.  It is a little more advanced than the purl stitch, but her instructions are just the same: slow, collected, and measured.

There are other videos online of people showing how they make socks, beanies, scarves, cables, pompoms, etc. and some work well for me, too.  But none of them compare to how Kristen from Good Knit Kisses explains her process.

I have taught myself, entirely through YouTube and practical application, how to knit.  This is just my experience with one channel.  There are thousands of other projects you can learn to do through this medium.  It just takes some searching and experimenting to find the instructions that resonate best with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment